Buying or selling a house is a big investment – for most of us, it is the biggest decision or investment we will make. Whether it is your first time or you are a seasoned investor, you want the process to be as seamless and stress-free as possible. Property transactions are not simple, but you can avoid many potential and costly mistakes by seeking the help of a lawyer.
How can a property lawyer help?
A good property lawyer will know that the buying and selling process can be emotional and complex, so will act within your interests to make it as seamless as possible. A lawyer can help you stay in control of the situation by helping you understand:
- The buying and selling process
- The disclosures you are legally bound to as both a buyer and seller, and the consequences/remedies available if they are not met
- Your legal documentations and the financial commitment you are making. Your lawyer can also help you complete any other legal work that you may now need such as making a will or setting up a trust
- Your financial limitations – how much you can borrow and how much you can afford to pay back
- Understanding the agents’ role and how you can get the best value from them.
Your lawyer can give you independent advice to protect your interests and identify any potential pitfalls and traps.
When choosing your lawyer
In order to offer you the best advice, your lawyer must know your personal circumstances. If you are seeking a new lawyer, look for firms whose core values are getting to know their clients and building trusted relationships. Choose a firm that has proven experience in property law and the necessary practice in negotiating.
Whether you are buying or selling, talk to MBC law about how we can make a seemingly daunting experience a smooth and efficient transaction.